The Wholesale Applications Community used to be an open global alliance made up of the world’s largest mobile phone manufacturers and network operators that is committed to making life easier for developers to create and distribute great digital content.
The formation of WAC was aimed at helping to standardise the mobile applications ecosystem by leveraging its group scale to host universal initiatives that help to streamline the submission, distribution and settlement processes for developers.
Centralised Submission Repository
Alongside developing and distributing a web-based runtime environment that runs across different mobile operating systems, WAC has built a centralised submission repository that allows developers to submit applications only once. They are then distributed across the globe through WAC member operator and OEM managed storefronts.
OS-agnostic Network APIs
Additionally, WAC is outlining a group of OS-agnostic network APIs that should enable developers to create more exciting applications and make money from their content across multiple platforms and technologies, including Android, HTML5 and Flash.
The Wholesale Applications Community was a ‘not for profit’ company committed to delivering innovative developer tools based on industry-standard web technologies that enable developers to maximise revenue, reach, and usage. It was formed to drive the commercial interests of developers, publishers, distributors and hardware manufacturers in the mobile and digital applications space.
Who needs WAC?
WAC’s members include mobile network operators and carriers, device manufacturers, software and technology companies – all of which are committed to simplifying the value chain and streamlining the development and distribution processes for the developer.
- Accelerate and grow the market for applications by giving developers the opportunity to create applications that can be deployed across a range of platforms and multiple operators, and address a possible global audience of over 3 billion users.
- Provide greater variation for users by facilitating greater portability of applications across multiple operating systems, devices, and network operators.
- Create more captivating applications by enabling developers to apply both device and network capabilities to innovate the next generation of applications.
Value of WAC (Outdated)
WAC is currently focusing on two key streams of work and development:
- Firstly, WAC is developing a suite of web run times based on HTML5 technology, but with the addition of mobile specific functionality which enables developers to create applications that work across multiple devices and OS, without requiring expensive porting or costly re-development.
- Secondly, with the commitment of its member operators and device manufacturers, WAC is developing a standard set of network APIs that will allow developers to create and monetise compelling applications that exploit the convenience of operator/carrier billing – and at the same time, offer customers a safe, secure and reliable way to purchase digital content.
In addition, WAC is developing a range of other network APIs that will enhance the usability of an application, such as authentication, messaging and location – helping developers to innovate, drive downloads and usage and most importantly, revenue.
Because it is backed by some of the world’s leading Telco and technology companies, WAC is uniquely placed to expose this capability, offering developers the opportunity to reach millions of customers across the world. We hope that you will also see the massive potential that exists through adopting a standardised approach to application development that uses common web technologies and APIs that are not specific to any particular device or platform, or controlled by any one company.
Developers are extremely important to WAC and we value your comments and feedback. WAC has developed many tools, forums and technologies to help you monetise and distribute your applications. Many more are coming soon. Come and join us…