If you’re looking to voice control your Sony TV with Alexa, then this guide is for you.
In this article, I will show you how to connect your Sony TV to Alexa, and how to use voice commands to get things done.
These simple and easy to follow steps will get you connected in no time.
Check it out!
- Stable Wi-Fi Connection
- Compatible Sony TV
- Google Account
- Amazon Account
- iOS/Android Smartphone
- Amazon Alexa (Echo/Dot)
Table of Contents
How to Connect your Sony TV to Alexa
The first thing you need to know is that not all Sony Smart TVs are compatible with Amazon Alexa. The ones that are compatible with Alexa voice commands will generally have either one of these apps pre-installed on the TV.
- TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa
- TV Control with Smart Speakers
Note: These apps are not available to download from the Play Store and only come pre-installed on the Sony Smart TVs that support Voice Commands with Alexa.
Connect a Sony Android TV to the Amazon Alexa App
Before you can control your Sony TV with Alexa, you will need to connect the two devices and the only way you can do that is if your TV has either TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa or TV Control with Smart Speakers installed on the TV.
The section below is going to cover the setup process using both apps.
- If your Sony TV supports one of the pre-installed apps mentioned above, press the Home button on your TV remote.
- Head to the app list, depending on which Bravia Android Smart TV model you own, you will find the apps here
- Your Apps > See All > TV Control with Smart Speakers
- Apps > TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa
- Home Screen > TV Control with Smart Speakers or TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa
- Next, follow the instructions depending on the app you selected.
Connect your Sony TV with Alexa using the TV Control with Smart Speakers App
These steps will help you connect your Sony Android TV with Alexa by using the TV Control with Smart Speakers app.
- Launch the TV Control with Smart Speakers app on your Sony TV
- Follow the on-screen instructions and sign into the app.
- Go ahead and select your TV name from the list.
- You will receive a screen that states “Select a smart speaker to connect to this unit”. Tap on Devices with Amazon Alexa.
- The TV will now enter standby mode. Launch the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Login to your Amazon account and then enable Sony’s Google TV skill.
- Proceed to discover the Sony TV by tapping the Discover button.
- Once the TV has been discovered and connected, you will see a message on the TV – “Setup Completed”
- Click on Done to exit the setup page.
- You will now be able to control your Sony TV with your Alexa device.
Tip: Make sure that you say the exact name of the TV while relaying voice commands otherwise Alexa will not recognize the device.
Connect your Sony TV with Alexa using TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa App
These steps will help you connect your Sony Android TV with Alexa by using the TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app.
- Perform the initial setup on using the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet
- Follow the on–screen instructions and login to your Google account.
- Next create or select a name for your Sony TV (this name will be used with your Alexa device to control the TV)
The next steps will have to be completed on your smartphone/tablet
- Download and launch the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone and locate Skills & Games.
- Enable Sony TV Basic Skill from the list of skills
- Choose the same Google account that you used while logging into the TV
- Complete the setup with the instructions mentioned on the app and then ask Alexa to discover your devices.
- Once completed, click Done on the Alexa app and then proceed to dictate commands and control your Sony TV remotely.
Setup Android TV Skill on the Amazon Alexa Smartphone App
- On the Alexa app, click on the menu icon and then tap on Skills or Skills & Games
- Next, select Your Skills
- The next est of steps will vary depending on make and model, so follow the instructions that best match the options available to you
- Sony’s Android TV > Manage Devices in Smart Home > Devices
- Sony’s TV > Basic or Sony’s TV > Enable to Use
- Finally, Alexa will now search for your TV and all you’d have to do is follow the steps laid out on the app.
Troubleshooting Alexa Not Working on a Sony TV
What to do if my Alexa Voice Commands do not work on my Sony TV?
If this is the case, simply access the TV Control Setup app with Alexa app and accept the new changes.
- Start by pressing the Home button on your remote control
- Click on TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa app
- Restart the TV and then control your TV using Alexa voice commands.
Issues with Google Login for TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa
Those who have updated their Google Play Services app to the latest version, there are chances that you might face an issue with the Google login while using TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa and you will not be able to proceed after the login page.
If you are currently facing this issue, follow these steps:
- Press the Home button on you Sony TV remote
- Scroll down and select Settings > Apps
- Tap on Google Play Services
- Now, uninstall the last update for Google Play Services
- Once the update has been removed, proceed to click on the Home button on your remote
- Try logging into the TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa using your Google account.
List of Countries/Regions where Sony TVs Support Alexa
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Canada (English)
- Canada (French) (Available with Android™ 8.0 or later)
- Mexico (Available with Android 8.0 or later)
- Brazil (Available with Android 8.0 or later)
- Republic of Ireland
- France (Available with Android 8.0 or later)
- Spain (Available with Android 8.0 or later)
- Italy (Available with Android 8.0 or later)
- New Zealand
What to do if my Sony TV does not connect to the Amazon Alexa app?
The only thing you can do if the Sony TV does not connect with Alexa is to either use a different wireless router or to drop the total number of connected devices on the router.
Will Alexa work with Sony TV?
Yes, but only with certain models of Sony Smart Android TVs that are part of the Alexa platform. The TV Control Setup and Amazon Alexa app will let you control your TV and enable/disable certain basic skills.
Can I use Alexa as my Sony TV remote?
If you happen to lose your remote, then simply login to the Alexa smartphone app and control your Sony smart TV remotely. You can use the Alexa app and voice commands to increase/decrease the volume, change the channels, turn off the TV and even change the input modes.