If you’re wondering how to screen cast on a Sony TV then this article is meant for you.
Screen casting is a great way to share files or presentations with other people.
With screen casting, you can capture your screen and send the captured video to other people, so they can see what you’re doing.
This is useful for demonstrating how to do something, for example, or for training new employees.
Read on to find out all there is to know about how to screen cast on a Sony TV. Here are some of the steps I will cover so you can cast your screen wirelessly on a Sony TV.
- Check the Compatibility of your TV and Device
- Register your Device on the TV
- View or Deregister Devices Connected to your TV
- Screen Mirror your Computer to a Sony TV
- Screen Mirror your Mac to a Sony TV
- Troubleshooting a Faulty Screen Mirroring Function
Table of Contents
How to Screen Cast on a Sony TV
Step 1 — Check the Compatibility of your TV and Device
Before you proceed, it’s important to know that not all Sony TVs support screen casting and only Bravia TVs released between 2013 and 2020 come equipped with this feature.
- Screen casting is only possible if the TV is equipped with Miracast which is a wireless technology that allows you to display the screen of a compatible device onto your TV without using any router.
- Sony TVs that are equipped with built-in Chromecast functionality also support screen casting.
Step 2 — Register your Device on the TV
Now that you have confirmed that your TV and device can be connected, it’s time to pair the two together so you can mirror your phone onto your Sony TV display.
Follow these steps to connect any device to a Sony TV.
- Start by switching on your Sony TV and then on the TV remote click on the Input button
- Select the Screen Mirroring option from the list and then click on the Enter button on the remote
Your TV will now enter standby mode, where the wireless connection between the TV and your router will be severed. During this time you will be able to connect the phone to the TV.
In order to connect and register your device with the TV
- Start by clicking on the Settings option and then tap on the Device Connection option
- Select Screen Mirroring from the list to enable the feature on your phone
- Proceed to tap on Start and then select OK
- Finally select the name of your TV from the list of available devices on your phone
What you need to know is that not all devices can be connected to a Sony TV even if they come with Miracast built-in.
It’s also good to know that the quality of your screen cast depends on the speed of the internet on your phone.
Step 3 — View or Deregister Devices Connected to your TV
If you’re using a Sony Android TV then there’s a way you can view and even remove connected devices from it in a couple of seconds.
- Press the Home button on the remote to launch the Sony TV Home page.
- Next locate and click on the Settings icon to open the TV settings page
- Select Network from the list and then click on Wi-Fi Direct
- Proceed to click on Advanced Settings and then tap on Show Device List.
- You will now be able to view and even delete connected devices by selecting the device from the list and then clicking on Delete device.
- If you want to delete all the devices connected to your Sony TV then press the Options button and tap on Delete All and confirm the selection by clicking on Yes.
Step 4 — Screen Mirror your Computer to a Sony TV
There are a couple of things that need to be met before you can screen cast your laptop or computer onto a Sony TV.
- Your laptop/computer and TV should have the latest drivers installed and must be running on the latest firmware.
- Both devices should support Miracast functionality.
Once you’re certain that your laptop and TV support the basic requirements, follow these steps to cast your laptop screen onto your Sony TV.
For your TV
- Switch on the Sony TV and turn on Wi-Fi
- Settings > Network > Wi-Fi
- Depending on the model of Bravia you own, follow the instructions below.
- Android TV – Press the Home button on your remote, click on Apps and then launch the Screen Mirroring app
- Other TV Models – Press the Input button on your remote, click on Screen Mirroring and pair the devices.
On your Computer
- Boot up your computer and then launch the Wi-Fi settings page
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings page and then navigate to Networks > Wi-Fi
- Click on the Wi-Fi icon in the taskbar and enable Wi-Fi
- Next, launch the Settings app on your computer and then click on Devices followed by Bluetooth and Other Devices.
- Search for your TV by clicking on the Audio or Other Devices option.
- Click on the display you want to connect and then wait till both devices are connected.
The alternate method to connect a laptop to a wireless display is by navigating to
- System > Display and then click on Connect to a Wireless Display.
- Similarly you can also press the Windows key + K to launch the Cast options on the desktop.
- Once you see your TV listed in the pop-up, click on it to have your laptop mirrored onto your TV.
Step 5 — Screen Mirror your Mac to a Sony TV
Not only will you be able to screen mirror your PC or laptop, but you can also screen mirror your Mac if the following conditions are met.
- Your TV supports AirPlay or any third-party app from the Google Play Store with similar functionality.
- Your Mac supports the TVs OS and has been updated with the latest display drivers.
- Your Sony TV has been updated to the latest version that supports AirPlay
Once all these have been met, you can follow these steps to cast your Mac onto a Sony TV
- Start by making sure that both the Mac and Sony TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Select AirPlay on your Mac and then select the TV from the list of available devices.
- Once the TV and Mac are connected, proceed to play a video or song and have that mirrored on the TV.
- You can click on the following buttons on your Mac to have the content displayed on your TV.
- Video: Start your playback then, tap (AirPlay Video).
- Photos: Display your photo then, tap (Share).
- Music: Start your playback then tap (AirPlay Audio).
- Entire screen of a mobile device: Open the control center on the Apple device then tap (Mirroring).
Troubleshooting a Faulty Screen Mirroring Function
There are times when screen casting or mirroring may fail and you may not be able to connect your phone to the TV. To troubleshoot this problem, check out these steps.
- First make sure that both your TV and phone support the screen mirroring function
- Ensure that you’ve turned on the Screen Mirroring mode on your TV and the phone has been connected to the TV earlier
- If there’s a connectivity issue with your mobile device, restart it by pressing the power button for 10 seconds and then click on Reboot
- If there’s a connectivity issue with the Bravia TV, reboot the TV by pressing and holding the power button on the TV for 10 seconds and wait for a minute or two before powering it on again
- Bluetooth interference is common, so try restarting your devices Bluetooth to fix any connectivity issues.
- Android TV – Home > Settings > Network and Accessories > Bluetooth > Disable > Enable
- Android Phone – Setting > Wireless Connectivity > Bluetooth > Disable > Enable
- iOS Phone – Setting > Wireless Connectivity > Bluetooth > Disable > Enable
- If you’re attempting to mirror a Mac or Apple device, make sure that the TV has AirPlay turned on.
- Press the input button and then select AirPlay
- Click on AirPlay and HomeKit Settings and click on AirPlay to turn it on.
How to Enable Sony Smart TV Services to use Apple AirPlay and HomeKit?
In order to use AirPlay and HomeKit, you will need to enable the Sony Smart TV Services from the Bravia TV Policy page. Here’s how you do that.
- Reboot your Apple device and then proceed to enable Sony Smart TV Services on your TV
- Press the Help button on the TV remote and then click on Status & Diagnostics
- Now, proceed to agree to the policy and then enable Sony Smart TV Services
- Finally click on the Input button on your remote and you will be able to select AirPlay as a valid input mode.
While not all Sony TV units support screen mirroring or screen casting, you can still have your mobile device or laptop connected to the TV by using a HDMI cable.
I hope this guide was helpful and you were able to connect your phone, computer or Mac to your Sony TV.
Click the link below to find out how to screen cast on a Samsung TV.